Thursday, February 16, 2006

uncle milty's guinness and chocolate chili

2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 large can (29-30 oz) can red beans
1 can Guinness
1 oz unsweetened chocolate (fair trade)
diced green chiles or jalapenos
cumin
dark chile powder
salt and pepper

In a large pot, saute the beef and the onion until beef is cooked through; drain the fat and leave meat and onion in the pot. Add beans, Guinness, chocolate and heat until simmering. I didn't put amounts on the peppers and spices because you may like it less hot than I. The green chiles are milder than the jalapenos (I use canned in both cases); the cumin won't add heat, but gives it a kind of smoky flavor. I have also ground up dried ancho chiles into a powder and added them instead of the dark chile powder.

The stout and the chocolate give the chili a sweet undertone alongside the savory cumin and the peppers. This is good stuff.

Read the blog entry that goes along with it here.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this chili.

I like to add some cashews as well.

Thanks Milton!