Monday, July 24, 2006

turkabama squash croquettes

This recipe is a combination of tastes from two places I visited this summer: Turkey and Alabama.

3 medium sized zucchini squash or summer squash (I mix them), grated
1 medium Vidalia onion, grated (optional)
1 cup grated cheese (I use the Sargento Mexican mix)
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 T Dijon mustard
1 t lemon juice
2 eggs
1 c plain dried bread crumbs
oil
Grate the squash (I use the grating blade on my food processor) and then put grated squash in a colander and let drain for about thirty minutes. Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the squash and put in mixing bowl. Add grated onion, cheese, spices, mustard, and eggs and mix thoroughly. Add bread crumbs and mix again. Mixture will be a little wet but should still hold together when you make it into a ball. Add a few more bread crumbs if you need to.

Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan. I form about a golf ball sized ball of the squash mixture and drop it in the oil and then I flatten it a bit. I fill the skillet, so I can cook six or seven at a time. Cook until well browned on both sides. Drain and serve.

Croquette in any language fluently spoken here.

Peace,
Milton

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think you could coat these with spray olive oil and bake them?

don't eat alone said...

Great question. Sounds like it would be worth a try. The other thing you might try is spraying a saute pan with cooking spray and "frying" at a lower heat to get it cooked through.

Peace,
Milton