Saturday, December 20, 2008

black-eyed pea hummus

I know I’m a little early, but here’s a little bit different way to get your black-eyed peas for New Year’s Day.

1 lb black-eyed peas, dry
Soak beans overnight. Drain and return to pot; cover with water and add
5 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons of sugar
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer until peas are soft. Drain and spread out on a baking sheet; cool to room temperature. Put the peas and garlic in a food processor and add
2/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper
Turn on the machine and stream in
olive oil
slowly until the mixture has the consistency you want. I’ve never measured how much oil I add. You will process the mixture for four or five minutes.

Spoon out into a bowl and serve with pita chips or crackers. I like to garnish it with tear jerkers for a little extra something.

Peace,
Milton

1 Comment:

jeaneneatkinson said...

I am SO gonnna try this one. Made a new recipe this year to get our peas in... Black Eyed Pea soup... it was yummy. I'll send it if you'd like.