Wednesday, January 04, 2006

pumpkin apple soup

In a soup pot begin with
1/2 lb bacon, chopped

Cook until browned and then add
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped

When onion is transulcent, add
2 apples, peeled and chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped

Cook until apples are soft and add
2 cup water
1 can of pumpkin
2 cups apple cider
1/4 cup brown sugar
salt and pepper
1/3 cup crystallized ginger
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t tumeric
1/2 t cayenne pepper

Simmer for about an hour and then puree.

2 Comments:

Lucie said...

Hello Milton,

I found your blog "Don't Eat Alone" by chance, using the "next blog" button in the Blogger bar. I like reading you. I want to keep this recipe and try it at home (I love pumpkin and winter squash, especially in soup!), but first I wanted to double-check the amount of vinegar you use. Is it really as much cider vinegar as water?

If you read French (which is my first language), I invite you to visit my blog, which is mainly about food and cooking: www.estomac.blogspot.com

Have a nice day!

Lucie from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

don't eat alone said...

read closer -- apple cider, not cider vinegar -- that will make a difference :-). my french is rusty, but i'll check in on your stuff.

peace,
milton