Thursday, November 20, 2008

cornbread waffles

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but in this case,my mother was actually the mother of invention. For a while now I have been trying to figure out how to add my open faced chicken pot pie to my restaurant menu. The problem, for me, was putting the mixture on a biscuit, because biscuits are hard to make ahead, or to make in small batches. When I went to Texas for my college homecoming, my mother and I were talking about food and she said, "I've been doing something fun. I started making cornbread waffles."

And a new dish was born.

I played around with a couple of cornbread recipes and ended up with this version, which has corn kernels in it and is more savory, since it is going with the pot pie mixture. Just because I like to say the words together, we call it "Chicken and Waffles."

Here is the waffle recipe. The chicken mixture can be found here.

1 1/2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Mix dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl mix together
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter
Add to dry mixture and then add
1 1/2 cups corn
Stir just until the ingredients are mixed together. Spoon into waffle iron.

Makes four to five double waffles in my waffle iron.

Peace,
Milton

0 Comments: