Wednesday, June 05, 2013

oatmeal, apricot, and cardamom cookies

My quest for both sweet and savory continues. Here's the latest effort.

1 cup butter (two sticks0, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
Cream the ingredients in a mixer for five to seven minutes, then add
2 eggs
and mix until combined. In another bowl, mix
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cardamom (see note below)
1/2 teaspoon salt
once combined, add to butter-sugar mixture. Then add
3 cups rolled oats (not instant0
1 1/2 cups diced dried apricots (unsulphured is best -- I got mine at Trader Joe's)
Drop on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes (for a 2-oz. cookie). Makes about two dozen.

Note: I bought whole cardamom seeds. I roasted them on the stovetop by heating to medium heat a small saute pan and adding the seeds. I let them cook for several minutes, until they became a little brown and fragant. I then let them cool and ground them up in my coffee grinder. The cardamom will have a different taste if you don't roast the seeds.

Peace
Milton

1 Comment:

Nicole DeMaria Grace said...

Driving home tonight I heard Nirvana sing, "here we are now, entertain us," which always makes me think of you in a certain education class at Emmanuel! I am certainly impressed with all that you have accomplished...not surprised one bit though. I'm loving the recipes.

Go Sox!!!