Saturday, August 16, 2014

beer-battered fairytale eggplant

This past week at the Durham Farmer’s market I came across some beautiful, small, and

variegated eggplant. When I asked the farmer about them, she said they were “fairytale eggplants,” which I then had to buy, of course, merely because of the name. As with most everything else, what was new to me was not new at all. I found this recipe when I got home to start thinking about Thursday Night Dinner and adapted it to suit my needs. I served it with my Summer Peach Marinara and we all ate happily ever after.
oil (for frying)
1 12 oz. bottle of beer (I used Sam Adams because that was what I found in the fridge.)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
16-20 fairytale or miniature eggplants
Gently remove the green stems and then cut the eggplants in half longways. Mix the dry ingredients and add the beer; whisk until it makes a batter. Heat the oil to 350°. Pour the eggplants into the batter and stir to cover them all. When the oil is hot, drop them one at a time into the batter and cook about two minutes a side, or until they are golden brown. You will need to do them in batches. The batter gives them the look of tempura vegetables. 

Peace,

Milton

1 Comment:

Bill said...

This looks great! We have an abundance of eggplant this year and I'm guessing our oriental eggplants would work fine in this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!