Wednesday, January 04, 2006

refrigerator rolls

1 quart milk, scalded and poured over

1 cup sugar and
1 cup butter
(I do it in the bowl of my kitchen Aid mixer on low speed)

Let cool and then add

2 packages yeast dissolved in
1/2 cup water

Add

8 cups of flour, one cup at a time (I use 1 cup of whole wheat flour)

Cover and let rise until doubled, then add

1 cup flour mixed with
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

Cover and let rise again.

When I make our rolls, I use a biscuit cutter and then drag the bottom through some olive oil and fold then in half. You can also cook the dough in loaves; it also makes great cinnamon rolls. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes. We're talking seriously addictive bread here.

2 Comments:

Jeff (no, the other one) said...

My 5 year old could probably eat the entire loaf by himself. But we have to limit his bread intake (mild hypoglycemia).

I'm makin' these for my mom for her birthday dinner in a couple weeks. I'm sure they'll be a hit.

Anonymous said...

I baked small pieces of this in my toaster oven, coated with cinnamon sugar.
Butter on the hot cinnamon bread was redundant but fabulous.